Saturday, August 21

Too Many Tomatoes

Did I mention I was getting tomatoes yesterday? Yes. I did. The farm share was 12 tomatoes. Our republican neighbor gave us 4 earlier in the week. We had a couple left over from last week. Then I got home to 18 tomatoes, and the republican gave us another half-dozen. (Tomatoes, sure; civil rights, not so much.) Yes, 24 tomatoes. And some of them were HUGE, like 3/4 of a pound each.

So I had to make something besides salad with tomatoes for dinner. Here's what I did--I'm pretty pleased with it.

2 lg cloves fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
2 (or so) tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1.5 lbs tomatoes, cored, not seeded or peeled (too lazy), and very coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
cooked "fat" pasta

Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat until slightly softened, but not browned. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Let tomatoes soften and simmer until some of the liquid evaporates, but the tomatoes still look "fresh," about 10 minutes. Add basil and heavy cream, simmer about 3 minutes more to let cream thicken sauce a little. Stir in salt and pepper. Add cooked pasta. Serve. Tres yummy, and just what the doctor ordered in August. We used leftover pasta with no problem

Thanks for the comments on the last post, despite the lack of consensus, LOL. I think everyone is right--it's a little one, a little two. Now that I'm in major problem-solving mode, I'm really feeling like the violence is attention-seeking. It stinks because they really get quite a lot of attention as it is. I do need to be able to unload the dishwasher or go to the bathroom and at 2.5, that's not an unreasonable expectation (as it is at 6 months with twins I'm sorry to say). So I need to work on this. Even though it's a tough thing, I'm glad to have a concrete issue to work with. But I had to get the theory out of the way first, LOL.

Ever hear that joke about the Frenchman who was talking to an engineer who was describing some great breakthrough he had achieved, which had recently been successful in the field? The Frenchman said, "it sounds great in practice, but it will never work in theory." I'm a little like that, I need to know my theoretical framework before I can attack a problem, even if the theory really doesn't mean squat. Sara will understand this one, I just know it. But I'd love to hear more thoughts on the bodhisattva vs. wildebeest concept.

I have a fibery post in the offing, I swear. I am amazed that anyone but me is interested in talking about infertility, parenting, AND fiber. Kinda cool.

No comments: